Purification (Taharah) is very important in Islam, for the following reasons:
1. It is half of Iman, as the prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: “Purification (at-Tuhoor) is half of Iman.”
2. It is a condition of one of the pillars of Islam, as he (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: “Salaat will not be accepted without purification”
3. It is a way to the love of Allah, as Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala) said: "Verily Allah loves those who constantly repent and loves those who purify themselves.”
4. It is one of the means for forgiveness, as the prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: "He who performs the Wudu' perfectly (i.e., according to Sunnah), his sins will depart from his body, even from under his nails.''
5. Its reward is paradise, especially when performed perfectly, as the prophet (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said, "Shall I not tell you something by which Allah expiates the sins and elevates ranks (in Jannah)?'' The Companions said; "Certainly, O Rasulullah.'' He (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said, "Performing the purification (wudhu) thoroughly in spite of difficult circumstances, walking with more paces to the mosque, and waiting for the next Salat after observing Salat; and that is Ar-Ribat, and that is Ar-Ribat.'' Ar-Ribat means watching the frontiers or battlefront against enemy invasion.
And he (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) also said, "Whoever of you performs Wudu' carefully and then testifies saying: ‘I testify that there so no true god except Allah Alone, Who has no partners and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger,' the eight gates of Jannah are opened for him. He may enter through whichever of these gates he desires.''
6. It is the adornment of the believer in the Hereafter, as he (sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said: "The adornment of the believer (in Jannah) will reach the places where the water of Wudu' reaches (his body).''